Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sustainable Gift Wrap Ideas

If you haven't noticed already, the holidays can produce A LOT of waste which is a big no no when it comes to living consciously and sustainable.  

Not so good for the environment = not so good for us.  

In our apartment, we have done about half online shopping- half in stores.  The extra boxes that we receive from online purchases go into packing the other gifts.  We reuse EVERYTHING  or at least try to and recycle everything we can't use.  Take this box for example, it does not contain tea, but a special surprise.


This year, I wrapped my gifts in traditional wrapping paper for the most part.  While this can be used and recycled, next year and for the holidays and special occasions in between, I'm going to try out some more sustainable methods of wrap like using reusable grocery bags and newspaper (which I've used in the past).
Simple Organic has fabulous ideas that are so cute, while being sustainable and cheap!

And.... Calamity Wilde Mercantile had some great ideas here.

2 comments:

  1. I like using boxes that were from other things to wrap presents - it's like a big surprise because you have no idea what's actually in it!!! Last year I used wrapping paper that was made from recycled paper, year before that I used butcher paper with real ribbons that my family saves after untying. One of my favorite things to reduce waste, however, is to buy people experiences rather than objects. We all have everything we need so we really dont need anymore mass-manufactured junk cluttering our lives, so I like to buy tickets to concerts, treat people to trips out to dinner, etc etc. That way you have a fun, memorable time, but you don't have some random thing you will end up shoving to the back of the closet.

    Love you both and I wish you the happiest Christmastime blessings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that idea Laura! and it's so true for so many people we know! thanks for the awesome comments! merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Please come back soon!