Wednesday, December 15, 2010

DIY: Puppy Peanut Butter Rounds- A Great Gift for Our Furry Friends


Ever seen those booths at the mall or even at the Farmer's Market that sell gourmet pet treats? Well, being inspired by what I had seen and knowing that Bailey loved them, I decided to make some of my own to save some moolah and enjoy knowing that I had made something. I love that feeling.... Anyways, these were SUPER easy and would make a great holiday gift for our furry friends! We have lots of neighbors since we live in an apartment complex and many of them have dogs.  Pop a few of these in a cute paper sack with a little note written on the outside and these will be a much-loved gift. 

These are Peanut Butter Rounds and Bailey can't get enough. The best is that they are healthy for puppies with no preservatives (at least in my ingredients), no fake additives, and no yuckiness that might be bad for pups.
Peanut Butter Puppy Rounds

1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour

3/4 cup oats

1/4 cup wheat germ

1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/4 cup honey

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 cup water

Simply mix together the ingredients.
I mixed them in our super duper KitchenAid mixer. Can't beat it.


Then separate the dough into small balls.
The original recipe called for 1 1/2 inch balls.
I made mine smaller because Bailey is a small.

Then flatten the balls with a fork (or your hand/finger like me) and
place on cookie sheet.


Then bake at 325 degrees for 15-20 mins or until golden brown. *


*Note: I have dark baking pans so I baked mine at 315 degrees for 10 mins. My treats weren't golden brown, but they were done all the way through and Bailey didn't seem to complain.


This is Bailey's serious face. Her "I will do whatever tricks you want me to even the ones I won't normally do just to have that treat in your hand" face, which means she LOVES them. Let me know if your pup does!

**Note**  This makes a rather large batch and we don't give Bailey tons of treats. (She's little so maybe one or two a day).  We, in error, did not store the treats in the fridge and some of them started to get a bit moldy within a week and a half or two so I suggest cutting the recipe in half and/or store the ones you aren't using soon in the fridge to help them last longer.  


Enjoy! 

7 comments:

  1. I made some treats for my favorite dog out here- almond butter, whole wheat flour, and nutritional yeast- for a whole grain vegan delight. He LOVED them.

    Treats like this freeze well, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica and Victoria makes treats for their dogs too. She has some great recipes. i am so proud of Andrew...He rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of the hand getting ready to feed Bailey...there is one thing I've noticed...mini schnauzers are really serious about the food. Love the wooden ornaments...I have a few vintage ones myself...love 'em

    ReplyDelete
  4. peanut butter and honey--in cookie form?! huzzah. heaven. dreaming of it now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://uncooked-art.blogspot.com/2009/07/first-cooking-show.html

    Great minds think alike I guess...Your pics are GREAT!! E-Zine here you come:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Allison! I just saw that you left a comment on my blog. So great to hear from you! Are you still blogging here?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Please come back soon!