Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Baby, It's Too Cold Outside!


The wintertime inevitably brings cold weather which inevitably makes you want to bundle up and stay inside out of that biting wind.  If you're like me, nature (before the first frost hits) is a daily part of life.  I run in it.  Walk in it.  Am inspired by it.  Etc.... It seems rather essential to my well-being.  If you're also like me, when it gets cold outside, my interaction with nature on any level beyond avoiding its chill is cut down to nearly zero.  I even notice that when I walk outside I don't look up and see the trees, I duck my head to avoid the wind and head to the car.

That's why this winter, I am going to make a concerted, pro-active effort to interact with nature as much as possible in a full nature immersion sort of way.  AKA- I will not be just looking out the window (though that's a start); I will be going for walks in the frigid outdoors.  There are mounds of studies that proclaim the benefits of nature on the human psyche and the exercise can't hurt either right?  So bundle up and go for a walk.  Try going when you notice it isn't snowing or the sun is shining.  Once you get moving, you really warm up and I can tell the benefits already on my mind.  Bailey really likes it too.

2 comments:

  1. I love the cold! It makes me feel so alive!
    I have never been a fan of the hot so this is my favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allie-Take it from me, there is a lot of beauty in nature when the cold weather arrives. The evergreens are greener, the land is barren, but yet still supports life. For me the snow blankets the trees and ground ensuring a clean, refreshing picture. Layer, Layer, Layer and you will be fine with the walks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Please come back soon!