Monday, December 6, 2010

Super Easy and Cheap Christmas Decor DIY


Andrew and I were gifted a very large and very pretty vase for our wedding.  I think it's beautiful, but I wasn't sure how to decorate with it for Christmas until... I went on a walk with Bailey one day and was inspired.  So here's a very easy and cheap decor DIY for Christmas that is very easily customizable to your tastes and needs.

Step 1
First things first, gather your supplies.  You will need branches that fit your space.  Mine are about 2.5 feet tall. (yeah BIG vase)  You want your branches to be DRY, clean, and branchy.... with lots of little branches shooting off everywhere to create interest and movement. 
I found mine by just walking around outside.  You really shouldn't have to cut them off a tree so just keep looking so you can keep our trees intact. 

Step 2
Gather some ornaments, bows, ribbons, candy canes, lights, etc to decorate your tree. I grabbed some simple glass ornaments I got at the thrift store.


Step 3
Because I liked my branches the way they were, I skipped this step, but if you want, you can paint your branches to compliment your decor.  Gold, silver, etc.

Step 4
Arrange your branches however you want in your vase.


Step 5
Decorate till your heart is content.  For me, simple was better :) 


2 comments:

  1. Very nice, I guess we both like to gather from nature to decorate, did you see my huge pinecones??? If you have time, maybe you can come down and we can go on the back on the mountain to gather greenery and make some wreaths, garland,etc. I know that Jessica and Victoria would love to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this... I had actually seen this before in an issue of Body+Soul... I have never done it, though, because I just wasn't sure I could pull it off without it looking silly. Now that I've seen what you've done, though, I feel more confident that I might be able to swing it! Good job on the homemade decorations... I have lots of ideas for homemade ornaments too... you inspire me, maybe I'll blog them (even though nobody reads mine, haha!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Please come back soon!